Wednesday, March 10, 2010

The Iceman Cometh... again

The general trend of not terribly exciting weeks has continued. We've been meeting a lot after class to work in groups for the accounting class I'm following, which has eaten up quite a bit of time during the week. I did find time to get out on Friday and have a couple beers with some friends. We went to a pirate-themed pub on one of the main streets in the University quarter. I pass it nearly every day on the way to class and had always wanted to try it. It's called The Bounty, but on the inside there are pretty much just some random pirate accoutrements and general swashbuckling paraphernalia. I was kind of hoping for wench-y waitresses or talking parrots or something, but no such luck. Still, it was a nice, laidback place.

The rest of the weekend I didn't really do much of anything. The weather, which had predicted snow on the weekend, remained cold, cloudy, and rainy. There was no snow... at least not until last night. As we were sitting in class, everyone collectively dozing off to lectures on statistical vectors and matrices, we could see through the big classroom windows that snow was starting to come down in very light flurries. It didn't seem to be sticking, so I had hopes that it would just pass like it had over the weekend. After class, however, we stayed in the faculty building to work on our group assignment and the snow started to come down quite a bit harder. At this point, I am so over the novelty of the snow and the cold that all I can do is shake my head. I made sure to stop at the grocery store on the way home to stock up, in case the snow continued. I am glad I did. By the time I was ready for bed, the snow had stopped, so I was pretty optimistic about getting up for early classes the next day (that is, today). But when I woke up this morning and opened the window, it was snowing like hell and we'd probably gotten about 6-8 inches over night. So, I went back to bed. It's March 10th and it is still snowing, probably the most snow we've had in one single day all winter. I cannot fathom how the entire population of the planet isn't concentrated in areas where it doesn't snow, because this is getting to be ri-goddam-diculous. All I can think of is the old Drew Carey stand-up routine about winters in Wisconsin and how they could benefit from global warming; he suggests standing outside and spraying aerosol cans aimlessly into the atmosphere, saying "Screw the grandkids, I'm cold now!"

Here are some photos I took this morning (from inside the apartment, of course. I may not leave the house until April):

Towards the buildings across from us

The little courtyard below us

Looking out on our balcony

The roof of the building across the way and its funny little chimneys

The clothesline outside

Patio set on a terrace below us. It's all set for Christmas in March


I was hoping to take a trip somewhere this week, since with this class schedule I have Thursday through Sunday off. But with the weather and an upcoming transit strike on Friday, it doesn't look like that's going to be happening. Hopefully the weather clears up a little, or it's going to be another weekend catching up on Psych, 30 Rock, and Always Sunny. 

Until next time...
  • rss
  • Del.icio.us
  • Digg
  • Twitter
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • Share this on Technorati
  • Post this to Myspace
  • Share this on Blinklist
  • Submit this to DesignFloat

1 comment:

  1. That IS a lot of snow, bub. Now don't you wish you'd bought some boots?

    Moogie

    ReplyDelete