Friday, September 25, 2009

First Day in Bologna


Even though I arrived early yesterday, I really consider today to be my first real day exploring the city. The room I am renting is a ways from the University, so I knew I was in for a good walk already. But let me tell you, Italian streets are nothing like the streets back home. Throw a map of Phoenix in the blender, toss it on the counter and that should give you an idea of how the streets are set up. I was lost for a good hour today, but even when I knew where I was going on the way back it still took about a 45 minute walk. But the consolation is that said walk is through a beautiful and vibrant medieval city! Here are some highlights from today:


-Got lost in northern Bologna. Finally found my way to the city center, where I promptly got lost again. The signs that said "Univeristy" with the big arrow pointing one way, which I obediently followed, well it turns out they were pointing to the Hotel University, a good distance from the *actual* University. DOH.

-Got to meet a lot of people that will be in my program during an orientation meeting. Turns out they all speak better English than I do. Not sure if that is a good or bad thing yet. Also, tentatively joined a futbol squad! I have to make do with something without those guys'-night basketball games.

-Our advisor/director person was going to walk me through some of the administrative processes for the University and the police this morning, but I arrived a little late because I had been LOST for an hour this morning. When I got there we filled out the paperwork but didn't bother to go to any of the offices to turn it in, because she said it was too late. It was 10:30 in the morning. This is why I love Italy!

-As I walked home, I passed a guy in a kilt. No explanation given, none asked, none needed.


Later tonight a bunch of us from the program are getting together for a drink in the city center. Should be interesting!
Oh, and PS - the picture at the beginning of this post is the view from our balcony. Also, somewhere over there is where the opera lady lives!
  • rss
  • Del.icio.us
  • Digg
  • Twitter
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • Share this on Technorati
  • Post this to Myspace
  • Share this on Blinklist
  • Submit this to DesignFloat

4 comments:

  1. I'm enjoying your blog immensely. BTW Uncle Keith said the streets were probably laid out 2000 years ago. Would have loved to see the guy in a kilt. Gotta love kilts. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Other than the lost thing, sounds like you're off to a good start. Glad you'll be keeping "fit" between futbol and lots of walking. Stay away from the guy in the kilt, tho. I find that highly suspicious.

    Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks just like any apartment complex in America. I pictured you living in a little stone hut with a wood-burning stove and goat in the front yard. I don't know much about Italy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maize - you'll learn it. Kilt - Scot's no worse than an American in Italy. Opera singer - listen for the tenor - Pavoratti's follow-on - someone to get to know. It's not all new - you've been there before. Hope the accommodations are comfortable and friendly. Take care -- love you!!!

    ReplyDelete