Monday, October 26, 2009

Ridiculousness


So today was kind of an odd day. I don't know why but it just seemed like there was one odd sequence of events after another.


Usually I dont have classes on Monday (nice!) but today there were 2 make-up classes for my international trade and economics class, which was cancelled all last week. So i had to get up at the crack of dawn to go to school. My earliest classes are usually at 10, which is also nice, but today i was out the door just after 7:30 and it was like a ghost town! i guess Italians hate Mondays too. I was nodding off in class, again, which amuses my classmates to no end. I can't help it if guns n butter put me to sleep. That class is amusing because it's taught by an American professor, and pretty often the international students lean towards me and ask me to explain something or how to spell something. I feel like a superhero from The Tick or something; Spelling-Man! Today's class was held in a different location on the outskirts of the city-center, which happened to be located directly next to the train tracks. The first time one went by, the professor made a comment to the effect of "...... Really??" and I laughed, because that was exactly what I was thinking. I don't think any of the Italians even flinched though. That is actually par for the course because nearly every single day there is some kind of construction noise coming from right next to the school, either in the courtyard or the rooms next door. Really? You guys can't come back at like 6pm when there's no class? It is what it is, I guess. The universe is balanced though so I had a stereotypical Italy moment on my way back from class; someone had there window open and was playing the violin, serenading me as I walked under the porticoes. And then a typical Bologna moment; I came to an intersection, and while waiting for the walk signal (dead giveaway that I'm not Italian, by the way), I heard a commotion. When I looked up, a gang of students had jumped out into the stopped traffic and were hollering, waving batons and juggling clubs, and of course asking donations from poor entrapped drivers. At least it's more entertaining than a guy with windex and a newspaper.


I had left class early to go to my appointment at the Police/Immigration Office for my permit to stay stuff (read: more bureaucracy). It actually went smoother than I was expecting; from the research I had done I was expecting complete pandemonium, but it was fairly organized, I only had to wait around for about 10minutes instead of the 2 hours I was told I'd probably wait, AND the minor error on my previously submitted paperwork I was worried about didn't turn out to be anything at all. There was another Bologna student there, a girl from Turkey, and we were obviously the only ones who weren't coming from a developing country for work, so we chatted for a bit while we were waiting in line. She didn't speak Italian too well and the authorities aren't permitted to speak anything but, so I even ended up helping her out when it was her turn.


On my way back, I passed what appeared to be a Star Trek merchandise shop. And by appeared to be I mean was stocked to the roof with all things Star Trek. And what really made me laugh was a model in the window, the EXACT same as one I once glued together, painted, and submitted to the State Fair when I was like 8 years old. And I don't mean it was just the same ship from Star Trek - the damn model kit in the window was at least 17 years old! They must not be moving a lot of Star Trek merch here in Bologna...


Another ridiculous occurence that made me laugh: As I walked further down the street, there was a mother strolling around with her two kids, maybe about 6 or 7 years old each. One was dark haired, and the other had almost crimson-red hair. Guess which one was misbehaving and needed reprimanding??


Since it was still pretty early I headed back towards the city-center on my continued search for allspice - I'm trying to make a traditional pumpkin pie for Thanksgiving, and it's the only ingredient I can't find. I already checked all the markets in my part of town, so now I'm branching out. I stopped by a big supermarket in the center, but they still didn't have any in the spice aisle. But what did they have?? ELVIS! Love me tender was playing on the store radio as I perused the selection. Jealous Aunt Sue? Italy did have a king, after all...


Online I'd found out there was market downtown called 'The Herb Market', so I figured it would be a sure bet and I headed there. On the way, I ran into the professor who heads our program, which was a nice little coincidence since we were nowhere near the university. I continued on the market, which was really nice, and there was tons of fresh produce like I've never seen in my life; heads of iceberg lettuce the size of a basketball, something that I SWEAR was a Bartlett pear but was as big as my head, and a bunch of other stuff I can't even describe. BUT NO HERBS!!! Why is it called the market of herbs?? So I called off the search, and headed home. And what did I encounter on the way home? Jehovah's witness #2 in Italy! Is there a CONVENTION or something?! Thankfully this one was just walking around with their little copy of "Il Torre di Guardia" (the Watchtower), so I could see what was coming from a mile away and I just peaced outta there. I made my way back home, relaxed for a bit, and even had some roasted chestnuts that one of my roommates made. Pretty full day, if you ask me.


The weekend had been pretty fun too. The University has graduations three times a year (Fall, Winter, and Spring), and similar to how students at ASU can walk in May even if they need to finish up some credits over the summer, the students here can follow masters programs starting in September even if they don't finish their undergrad thesis until October. So, several of my classmates were celebrating their graduations, which called for some partying. Highlights of Friday and Saturday nights:

-walking 5 miles in the freezing rain

-discovering secret stash of breadsticks at a restaurant

-party cups = dixie cups

-best pizza ever at 3am, at the only place left open in the city

-alcohol consumption and ability to speak in Italian become directly related

-our group destroying 4 bottles of wine in about 5 minutes. no more wine? well, time to go!

-awkward people watching at Brazilian dance club

-9% beer on tap

-Italian hip hop concert? AND it's BYOB?!?! Why not, it's only 2am!

-returning home decidedly tipsy + daylight savings time taking effect in the same night + cell phones that don't automatically adjust the time + laptops that DO adjust = MASS CONFUSION


So those were a few of the highlights... Exams are coming up this next week so there may or may not be shenanigans to report later on. Only time will tell.
And PS - the photo above is from the day we spent in the Giardini Margherita. Lucky we did it that day too cuz it was just about the last nice day to be outside!
  • rss
  • Del.icio.us
  • Digg
  • Twitter
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • Share this on Technorati
  • Post this to Myspace
  • Share this on Blinklist
  • Submit this to DesignFloat

5 comments:

  1. Glad to hear you didn't have as much trouble at the police station as you had anticipated. I know you said you were worried about it when we talked yesterday.

    Hey, your Dad's getting pretty good at that Skype thing, isn't he? Only took us about a half hour this time!

    Really, really miss you, sweet boy. We're starting our "trip to Italy" fund, as of last night.

    Love, Mom
    xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. um, i think the red-headed/incorrigble correlation was started by one jerk. i was a perfect child. just saying.

    ReplyDelete
  3. YEA, Elvis everywhere.

    Aunt Susan

    ReplyDelete
  4. Um, pictures of Star Trek store needed, plz!!! I am coming to visit just for that!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Did you make that picture collage? Its very nice. My stupid internet doesn't work properly when I'm at work anymore. I miss our afternoon fb chats.

    ReplyDelete